| Cape Amenities | Cape Activities | Cape History | Burning Regs | Emergency Serv | Water District - | Cape Handbook | Owner Info | Back | Home |

Outdoor Burning Regulations


Residential and commercial burn permits are available for purchase.  Residential permits allow for fires up to ten feet in diameter.  The permit fee is $15 and are valid from October thru June of each year. Permits may be purchased from the fire district headquarters on Orcas, San Juan, Lopez and Shaw Islands.  They may also be purchased online from the San Juan County Fire Marshal’s Web site: www.sjcfiremarshal.org.
Commercial permits are required for larger fires.  Because a site inspection is necessary prior to the permit being issued, commercial permits cannot be purchased on line.  However, an inspection request can be sent via the Internet at www.sjcfiremarshal.org.  The fee for a commercial burn permit is $225.  Commercial permits are valid for 30 days from the date that they’re issued.
Recreational fires – those that are less than two feet in diameter – do not require a permit.
All outdoor fires are limited to natural wood and vegetation.  Treated wood, plastics, trash and other debris may not be burned at any time, with or without a permit.  Burn barrels are prohibited by state law.

Steve Marler, San Juan County Fire Marshal
Paul Turner, Deputy Fire Marshal

Property owners are reminded that much of the material that is burned each year could be chipped instead and used as mulch or ground covering.  Check the phone book and classified ads for local businesses that offer chippers for rent or chipping and brush clearing services.
For information about how to reduce the fire risk on your property or in your neighborhood, contact the FireWise program at 378-7722 or 378-5334.


Page content © 2017, Cape San Juan Homeowners Association
Contact Site Administrator     Manage Page Content     Printer Friendly View

This Homeowners Association Website hosted with home-owners-assoc.com, a division of Nord Enterprises, Inc.